How to Use the Metered-Dose Inhaler (MDI)
Follow these steps to ensure you properly use the MDI:
1. Remove the cap from the metered-dose inhaler.
2. Shake well.
3. Breathe normally and slowly through the mouth.
5. OPEN MOUTH: Hold the inhaler 2 - 5 cm (1 - 2") from your mouth. Keep mouth wide open. Tilt head slightly backwards.
CLOSED MOUTH: Place the mouthpiece in mouth.
6. Begin to inhale and push down on the cartridge once. Continue to inhale slowly and deeply through the mouth until finished taking in that breath.
7. Hold your breath for 5 - 10 seconds.
8. Exhale slowly.
9. Replace the cap.
10. If an additional inhalation is prescribed, wait 60 seconds before taking it.
11. Repeat steps 2 - 8 for the prescribed number of inhalations.
Caring for your MDI
1. REMOVE CAP.
2. SHAKE WELL
3. BREATHE NORMALLY & SLOWLY
5. OPEN MOUTH: TILT CHIN UP slightly. or
CLOSED MOUTH: SEAL LIPS around the mouthpiece.
6. INHALE and DEPRESS cartridge once.
7. INHALE A SLOW DEEP BREATH.
8. HOLD BREATH for 5 - 10 seconds.
9. EXHALE SLOWLY.
Click here to view a demonstration
The Children's Asthma Education Centre 2011©