Using a Spacer Device with a Mask
1. Remove the cap and shake the MDI.
2. Insert the mouthpiece of the MDI into the opening at the end of the Aerochamber®.
3. Apply the mask to face so there are no leaks between face and mask. The valve should open with breathing.
4. Depress the canister to allow medication to enter the Aerochamber®. Hold on face for 5 breaths, so that the medication can be inhaled OR encourage a slow deep breath if able. (A breath hold is not usually possible for young children)
Care of an Aerochamber®
1. REMOVE the caps.
2. SHAKE the MDI.
3. ASSEMBLE the MDI mouthpiece in the chamber.
4. APPLY the mask to the face.
5. DEPRESS the canister.
6. INHALE: Hold on face for 5 breaths OR hold breath for 10 seconds.
8. For second puff, wait 60 seconds and repeat steps 2 to 7.
Click the video for a demonstration
The Children's Allergy & Asthma Education Centre 2013 ©